Monday, November 3, 2008

The Phoenix.

Miami Ink has been inspiring me to get inked for quite a while now; but only last night have I figured out what I want to someday get.

I will get a tattoo of a phoenix to commemorate my late uncle.

The phoenix will symbolize uncle Allan's second life. A few weeks after my college graduation, we received a call that Uncle Allan has been stabbed multiple times by a masked assailant. The evil psycho person managed to get his face and arm, but the knife was miraculously BENT when aiming for his jugular.

Given a second chance at life, Uncle Allan was able to redeem himself. He was brought himself closer to his family; and most importantly, to God. He was by nature a really good person who unconditionally gave and helped numerous churches and civilians, but it was about a few months before his death that he became a Born Again Christian.

Born again -- just like a phoenix.

The mastermind behind his multiple stab wounds never gave up. He was shot twice and died instantly on October 27, 2008. We miss him dearly, but we all know that Uncle Allan is in heaven. He was given another life -- eternal life, and is witnessing the fulfillment of our Lord's promise.

And just like a phoenix, I know our whole family will one day be able to rise from the ashes of pain and torment. We will miss Uncle Allan every single day of our lives, but we will be born again. We will ascend above the grief stronger than ever. You see, the murderer was never successful. She (yes, she), was never able to take away Uncle Allan's soul nor his faith. And she will never take away ours, either.

If ever I do decide to get a phoenix tattooed on me (by Chris Garver simply because he's the most talented. :D), I'll have it in full color to represent the vibrancy and life that my Uncle lived. I'd want it to be feather-y to symbolize the numerous lives he has touched and the ripple effect of his generosity. Lastly, I'll have it overlooking my back.

Uncle Allan always had my back no matter what. :)

This time our family is going against the norm of Chinese tradition -- we're not always in white, we're cutting our hair, and we don't have a black pin on our clothes. We knew Uncle Allan wouldn't have wanted that. I was at PCBS this morning and I found a pin of a golden dove. Instead of a black pin symbolizing mourning and grief, I'll be wearing a golden dove on my clothes. Uncle Allan is with the Holy Spirit in heaven. It may hurt to not have him with us physically, but I know that he's watching our family together my Angkong and Daddy's parents.

It's not goodbye. It's see ya later. :)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

For more on Miami Ink, visit my blog: www.victoriasrighthip.typepad.com/

Anonymous said...

hello,
I just wanted to ask if ito ba yung Alan Tan na may ari din ng Fortune Hotel? or should I say its their Family business?

The reason ask its because, use to work in catbalogan and I know the person.
Thanks and Hope to hear from you soon.
my email address is nora.jenkins@talktalk.net