Sunday, August 17, 2008

Loud and Proud.

It's been a year and my ever most beloved government whatever it is still hasn't released my professional ID.

A month ago, Pacx's mum helped me pass MORE requirements, like my US passport and certificate of late registration. I kept following up, but PRC Manila still hasn't replied daw. When Pacx's mum called, she was told that my requirements were REJECTED, thus AGAIN putting my license on hold.

:|

Fine.

I woke up at 7:00am this morning to file for a Philippine passport. I was feeling kinda jittery, because. Well. You know. I might get denied or something. But mum assured me that DFA was more well versed with cases like mine than PRC was. Syempre, diba? It's their area.

I only got as far as the interview when problems started arising. Wah.

DFA GIRL: I'm going to have to refer this to our head. Excuse me.
ME: *thinking, uh-oh*
DFA GUY: So miss, what's it gonna be? You gonna choose to stay a Filipino? Or you're gonna denounce your American citizenship
ME: *shit!* Uhm. Isn't there a new law stating that I don't have to choose anymore? Like I'm dual for life? When I'm here, I'm a Filipino. But when I'm in America, I'm an American
DFA GUY: *shakes head* It doesn't apply to you
ME: *trembling. on the verge of tears* Why?
DFA GUY: You've reached the age of majority. If you would've filed for a Philippine passport before you reached twenty one, then maybe this would've been different. You weren't born here. You were born there. You have an option, though. Denounce your American citizenship, then when everything's fine you can apply for reacquisition
ME: *suspicious* Isn't there a law stating that, since at the time of my birth, my Mum and Dad were still Filipinos, that I AM a Filipino by CONSANGUINITY?
DFA GUY: Have you spoken to a lawyer? I think you need to. And check it out again with the American Embassy.
ME: *OMG. OMG. OOOOMMMGGG.*

*DFA GIRL COMES BACK*

DFA GIRL: Okay na miss. You are a naturally born Filipino citizen. You are a Filipino by blood.
DFA GUY: Whattt?
DFA GIRL: Yepp. It's true! She's a true blue Filipino!
ME: *relieved to tears* Filipino by blood. *Hahaha! Awed!*
DFA GUY: How'd that happen?
DFA GIRL: Her Mom fought for her rights when she was still a child.

Wah. You know how good that feels? To know that, YES, I AM a FILIPINO. And I DO have the right to enjoy all the rights privileges that every other Filipino citizen has. :) The rights my Mom fought for me to have. (Including my right to possess a professional ID after passing the board). :)) I belong here. The Philippines is, has always been, and always will be my home. And my unrequited love for bagoong, bangus, balut, daing, tuyo, suka, and other kanto foods is fully justified by the blood coursing through my veins.

Yes, the blood. Didn't you read? Filipino by BLOOD.

HAHAHA. Sorry, I'm just so happy! :)) Feelin' kinda patriotic here, people! I am a Filipino. Embrace your heritage! Woot woot.





4 comments:

Miss Elle said...

Yeyy! Yabang Pinay! Move over, Paris... Kimmie for President! I am happy for you too. love you :)

Kimmie said...

Whee! I'll be in Manila pala second week of September. Will you be available? :D

Miss Elle said...

and i was actually planning of goin home by september. but since you'll be here. i SHOULD make some changes. hehe. i will be available best! weee! excited na ko! :)

Kimmie said...

Go home WITH me! :D